The Delaware Valley Wind Symphony is pleased to announce our 2022-2023 Concerto Soloist Competition. The mission of the Competition is to create educational opportunities for young musicians. The winner of the competition will be awarded a $1,000 cash scholarship and an opportunity to perform their solo with the DVWS at the April 23, 2023, concert
About the Delaware Valley Wind Symphony
The Delaware Valley Wind Symphony is a professional-level concert band dedicated to enriching the Bucks County community and surrounding areas through the performance of artistically compelling and enjoyable concerts. Comprised of 55 woodwind, brass and percussion players, the band performs an eclectic blend of music ranging from Bach to Bernstein. DVWS’s season includes four annual concerts along with appearances at community events. Embracing the need to nurture the next generation of young musicians, the DVWS actively supports music education through educational collaborations, scholarships, and an annual concerto soloist competition.
- The concerto competition is open to woodwind, brass, or percussion high school student in grades 10-12.
- Students must reside in Bucks County, PA.
- Previous concerto winners are not eligible to apply again.
- Because the winner of the competition will perform his/her solo with the DVWS on the spring concert, candidates must be available for one mutually agreed Monday evening rehearsal, the dress rehearsal on April 21, 2023, and the spring concert on the April 23, 2023, at 4:00 pm.
- Solo Selection – Applicants must choose a solo that exists as a published band arrangement available for purchase at a reasonable cost. Arrangements that must be rented are not eligible. For your convenience, we have prepared a suggested repertoire list, however, other solos are possible as long as they are available as a published band arrangement for purchase. Students should select either the first or last movement of a solo unless otherwise indicated on the suggested repertoire list.
- Video of Performance- Applicants must provide a continuous, unedited video recording of themselves performing their solo, either with or without piano accompaniment. We strongly recommend that you perform with a piano accompanist on your video. Please ensure that the audio is clear, and the video presents the candidate well. Posture, stage presence and visibility are some of the criteria used by judges. The student and instrument should be visible at all times during the video.
- Candidates must provide videos either as a link to their YouTube performance or a URL to their video using a cloud service Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive.
- Copy of the Solo – Candidates must also provide a link to a PDF copy of the solo part of the music they will be performing.
- All application materials must be received by January 25, 2023. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- All applicants will be notified of the results of the competition by February 20, 2023.
- Results of the competition will be determined solely by the competition judges. The decision of the judges will be final.
How to Apply
Application is an easy online process. Use the links below to submit application form/materials and application fee by the deadline date of January 25, 2023. Incomplete or late applications will NOT be considered.:
Click on the links of the two steps below to apply.
- Fill out the online application form
In this form you will enter links to your video performance and a PDF of the music.
- Pay the Non-refundable $35 application fee via a PayPal account or as a guest with a debit or credit card.
You will receive a confirmation of receipt of application via email once ALL application materials have been received and the application fee has been paid.
Questions about the Competition?
Email us at email@example.com
We hope that all candidates benefit from their participation in the competition!